What better way to celebrate the end of summer than with a dish of succulent seafood and fresh garden vegetables. Shrimp Ceviche is stunningly easy to prepare and it makes a great appetizer, side dish or snack.
Gather your Ingredients:
- 3 lbs raw shrimp, cleaned
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 6 limes, juiced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 lemons, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 of a cucumber, seeded and diced (Cut it in half and scrape out the seeds with a spoon)
- 1 red onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
Place the raw shrimp in a single layer in the bottom of a glass baking dish or other non-reactive dish. Pour the lime and lemon juice over it and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until the shrimp are opaque and firm to the touch. Toss the shrimp, juices and the remaining ingredients until well combined. Serve the ceviche with your favorite tortilla chips or fresh-cooked corn tortillas. For a healthy alternative, serve with freshly cut vegetables, such as celery sticks, cucumber rounds and tomato halves.
For more of my Mexican Recipes visit Mexican Food at About.com